Number one of the Barton upon Humber Civic Society Town Walks. Print off the following to give a guide to the Waterside area of Barton upon Humber. See picture gallery to view some of the below in larger size.
Barton Waterside is a distinctive part of the town. It was a self-sufficient industrial and commercial community in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Our walk will start at the Humber Bridge viewing area (locally known as the Point).
|1) The Boathouse was originally the coastguard station, opened by the Duke of Edinburgh in 1880, but closed in the 1920s. During the second world war it was used by an army unit. It is now the visitors' centre for the Barton Clay Pits Country Park and the start of the Viking Way.|
|2) From this point looking North is the Humber. The Barton ferry, mentioned in the Domesday Book, sailed between Barton and Hessle until the 1850s. The river is tidal at this point. At low tide, in autumn and winter more so, the mud supplies rich feeding for wading birds.|
|3) Also here is the Humber Bridge. Building commenced in 1972 and was officially opened by the Queen on 17 July 1981.It has a total length of 2220 metres.|
|4) Turning left and towards the trees is the Clay Pits Country Park.. The ponds were originally formed when clay was extracted for the brick and tile works. Nature has recolonised the pond and many species of birds can be found here now. The area was once used for the Waterside Sports. This annual event was held in August, the last one being in 1947.|
|5) Walking south down the path on the right are the workings of Blyth's Tileyard. In 1900 there were 15 working yards, today only two. The products were sent all over eastern England and many houses in London's suburbs are roofed with Barton tiles.|
|6) Crossing the road onto Humber Road you can just see the Tower of Hewson's Mill on the left. It is the only one of three remaining which formerly worked along Waterside Road. It was built in 1813 for Messrs Cook and Sutton and was used to grind grain. There were four windows on each floor and it was whitewashed on the inside and tarred on the outside.|
|7) At the end of Humber Road is Dam Road, formerly the site of a dam which provided water for a mill at the head of the Haven. It has also been known as First Ings and Gas House Lane. In 1846 the Barton Gas Works was built here. Impressive houses, such as Clarence House and Yuba House, were built for brickyard owners and have fine, detailed brickwork.|
|8) At the eastern end of Dam Road is the Railway Station. It was opened by the London North Eastern Railway in 1855 even though trains had been coming to Barton in 1849. In 1901 14 trains left Barton each weekday and four on sundays. All the station buildings were demolished in 1973.|
|9) Across from the Railway Station is the White Swan Inn. This was formerly one of Barton's main hotels. It is a three storied building with a steeply hipped pantile roof. The Venetian windows looking onto Fleetgate indicate that it was built in the 18th century.|
|10) Heading north back down Waterside Road now. In the 19th and early 20th century the Waterside was a self-sufficient, tight knit community with its own shops, schools, church and Methodist chapel, inns and industries. Many of its inhabitant rarely ventured into central Barton, choosing instead to use the railway and ferry to visit Hull.|
|11) On the left just opposite the junction with Maltkiln Lane is Nos 23-25 Waterside. These were originally one house which belonged to the owner of the windmill situated to the north-west (no 6). It was built in the early 19th century. The Turnpike road from Barton-Waterside to Lincoln which started from here was opened in 1765.|
|12) Across the road and Haven is the Ropery. John Hall developed the Ropery which became known as John Hall and Co. By 1900 about half the ropes produced here were sold to the Wilson Shipping Line, the largest private ship owners in the world at that time. The firm expanded and then went into decline and closed in 1989. It is now a museum and gallery.|
|13) Further down Waterside Road is the site of St Chad's Church. and St Chad's Church of England School. The church closed in the 1970s and the school in 1960. Both were demolished in 1993.|
|14) Even further along Waterside Road is the Wesleyan Chapel which was built in 1862. It was designed by the Hull architect W Alfred Gelder. The original Mission Chapel on the south side was turned into a Sunday School when the new chapel was opened. It is now used for storage.|
|15) There were once boat landings along the banks of the Haven. Barton had a great port in the medieval period which declined in the 16th and 17th century but had a revival in the 18th and 19th century when goods would have included bricks, tiles, whiting, chalk, gravel, sugar beet, fertilizer, barley, coal, rope and hemp. Many of the sailors who manned the boats lived in and around the Waterside. Most of this river trading finally ceased with the outbreak of the Second World War.|
|16) Returning close to the Humber Bridge viewing area in Waterside Cottage. It is probably an 18th century building which was once attached to a malt kiln which occupied the site of 101 Waterside Road.|
|17) Next is Waterside House. This was originally know as Waterside Inn and dates from 1715. During its peak around 1723 to 1835 the inn must have been a most important and prestigious establishment with three mail coaches using it. The Royal Mail coach to London ran daily from here. In 1821 the steam ferry started running between Barton and Hull. The mail coaches stopped running when the New Holland ferry and rail connection opened in 1849. The building has been a private house since 1960.|
|18) Finally our walk takes us to the eight Coastguard houses. These were built by Alexander Stamp in 1862 for William Wilkinson, surgeon, of Cobb Hall. There were houses for the families of seven boatmen and one leading boatman, with a communal wash house serving all the dwellings. The Coastguards launched their boat from the old jetty which had been built in 1825 for the new steam ferry. The jetty was demolished in 1929 when the station closed.|
Straight ahead is the concrete sea defence of the Humber and round the corner to the left is where our walk began.
Reproduced with kind permission from the Barton upon Humber Civic Society.
|© copyright 2009 Dazxtm|