Number two of the Barton upon Humber Civic Society Town Walks. Print off the following to give a guide to the Victorian area of Barton upon Humber. See picture gallery to view some of the below in larger size.
During Queen Victoria's reign (1837 - 1907) Barton's population nearly doubled. There were tremendous economic and social changes which are reflected in the wealth of Victorian public and private buildings.
Our walk will start at the Market Place opposite the bus stop in the car park.
|1) The first building we see is the Barton Corn Exchange Club (which used to be called the Constitutional Club). This was originally built as the town's Corn Exchange and opened in 1854. It was designed by D. W. Aston. There was a butter market on the ground floor which originally had cast iron grilles in its three arched openings.|
|2) Aiming towards George Street, turn right down George Street and King Street. At the bottom of King Street is Elm Tree House. This was built by George Ingram, a local brickyard owner, in about 1843. There is a high-columned porch and fine keystones above the window.|
|3) You are now on High Street. The Justices of the peace for Lindsey decided to build a Police Station and Magistrates' Court in Barton in 1847.(see the inscription over the central doorway) It was built on the foundations of a great mansion house built by the Long family of London mercers. The building was designed by J. S. Padley and was single-storied. The Court Room was on the right and the living area for the constable on the left. An office, kitchen and two cells occupied the centre of the block. It was built of local brick and given a Welsh slate roof. Not long after completion the building was heightened and the interior rearranged. In the early 1960s the constable's house was adapted to provide office space. The last case was heard by the Magistrates Court in July 1995.|
|4) Further along High street and on the corner with Queen Street is the Odd Fellows' Hall. In 1864 the Barton Good Design Lodge of the Odd Fellows' Friendly Society opened their new Hall. Built in the Italian Renaissance 'palazzo' style it cost some £1000. It has been used as Barton's first cinema, a repertory theatre, a roller-skating rink, a dance hall and as government offices. More recently the ground floor has been converted into luxury flats but the hall is unused.|
|5) Turning right onto Queen Street. This was originally known as New Road when it was opened in 1827. It cuts across the former gardens of the great house which stood on the site of the present Police Station. Its grounds occupied most of the area bordered by High Street, Finkle Lane, Newport, Catherine Street and Marsh Lane. Plots of land on either side of the new road were sold to house-builders and some of the various groups that flourished in Victorian Barton. This has resulted in a collection of buildings of public interest in the region.|
|6) On the east side of Queen Street is the Primitive Methodist Chapel. In 1810 the Methodist Movement split and the Primitive Methodists were founded. It was opened by Christmas 1867 and was capable of holding 600 worshippers. It was built in the Romanesque-style to a design be Joseph Wright of Hull. It ceased to be the Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1961, and was reopened as a Salvation Army Citadel in 1965 after much alteration.|
|7) Also on the East side of Queen Street next to the Salvation Army Citadel is the old National School. On 1st April 1844 the vicar of Barton, the Rev George Uppleby, formed a committee to establish the school for the children of the town's poor. The school was built in neo-Tudor style red brick with stone dressings. It was designed by William Hey Dykes. It originally had three rooms, one for 150 boys, one for 150 girls and one for 100 infants. The first superintendant was Samual Wilderspin who has a national and international reputation as the founder and chief promoter of the education of infants in England and Scotland. The school was extended in 1935 and closed in 1978 when the newly built St Peter's school was opened on Marsh Lane.|
|8) Just across the road on the west side of Queen Street is a pair of Victorian Houses number 13 and 15. These stand on the site of the former free charity school known as Long's School or the British School and are thought to have the original rear of the school but new frontage. The Rev George Oliver laid the foundation stone in 1831. The school was opened on the Coronation Day of William IV (12 September 1831) as a non-denominational school conducted on liberal principles. On 20 January 1832 Isaac Pitman became master of the school but after his marriage to Mary Holgate in 1836 he left Barton. He was actually working on his system of shorthand whilst he was living in Barton. The school closed in 1842, for reasons unknown, and in 1858 the building was converted into two houses.|
|9) Heading south back towards High Street on the right is the Assembly Rooms. These were built in 1843 as a Temperance Hall. A Temperance Society was founded in Barton in 1837 intending "to preserve the sober and reclaim the drunken". The two-storied, red brick building is in a classical style with a symmetrical five-bayed front which has a central palistered Doric doorway. The upper lecture hall could seat 400 people and was used for public meetings, public enquiries, county court meetings, concerts and exhibitions. In 1903 it closed as a Temperance Hall and between 1906 and 1967 it was the Anglican Church Hall and the main public hall in the town and then known as The Assembly Rooms. In 1974 it was converted to a night club for a short time. In 1976 Glanford Borough Council acquired the building and operated it as the town's civic hall but more recently it has been taken over by the Town Council whose efforts have brought it back to life.|
|10) Turning right and heading west along High Street is number 26 - 28. These were both built in the late 19th century. Above the ground floors can be seen five round-headed windows. Between each of the two pairs of windows there are Romanesque-style shafts.|
|11) We now travel up High Street past Junction Square and onto Maltby Lane which is on the right (opposite Lidl). Here is the Barton Youth Centre which occupies the premises of the former Wesleyan Day School which was built in 1867.It was in 1860 that Barton's Wesleyan Methodists decided that because the Queen Street school was overcrowded they would build a larger one to replace their smaller one which stood on the site of the present Methodist Lecture Hall. After a short period of redundancy the Maltby Lane building was taken over by the Salvation Army who ran it as their Citadel from 1921 until 1962. The building has also housed the town's Employment Exchange and Boy's Club but is now the Barton Youth Centre.|
|12) We now retrace our steps back to Junction Square and turn right (south) towards the corner with Holydyke. At the junction of Holydyke and Ferriby Road turn left. Opposite the fire station is Providence House. This was built in a heavy neo-Classical style in 1854 for Thomas Tombleson. After it ceased to be used as a family home it was first used as an orphanage run by the Lincolnshire Branch of the National Children's Home and then as an annex to the local school. More recently it has become Barton's Library and adult education centre.|
|13) Further down Holydike on the next corner is the Trinity Methodist Chapel. This is the third methodist chapel to be built in Barton and was opened in 1861. It replaced a previous chapel built in the site in 1816. Later in 1902 a hall and Sunday School were added to the south facing on to Holydyke.|
|14) Turn left at the corner and aim towards Chapel Lane. Numbers 8 - 24 Chapel Lane are typical of a style popular in the period between about 1875 and 1914. They have decorative fanlights and lintels.|
Here is where our walk ends.
Reproduced with kind permission from the Barton upon Humber Civic Society.
|© copyright 2009 Dazxtm|