The Old Police Station


Police Station Click to enlarge.

When Queen Victoria came to the throne in 1837 the population of this country had a reputation for being volatile and difficult to govern.  It became clear that modern police forces were needed and a number of Acts of Parliament were passed enabling their establishment.  The creation of the Metropolitan Police Force by Sir Robert Peel in 1829 lead the way.
Under an Act of 1842 which enabled them to erect lock-ups and appoint paid superintending constables in the principal towns of the country, the Justices of the Peace for Lindsey decided to build a police station in Barton in 1847 (stretching into1848).  As planned, Barton Police Station and Petty Sessions Court was single-storeyed with the court room on the right and living accommodation for the constable on the left and an office, kitchen and two cells in the centre block.  In the yard behind was a gig-house and a two-stall stable.  Not long after it was built it was heightened and its interior rearranged.  On January 14th 1848 the magistrates' new room was used for the first time, replacing the George Hotel as the previous venue.

Later the courthouse was relocated in the left section of the building and the constable's accommodation was moved to the right hand side of the building.  In the early 1960's the superintending constable's house was adapted to provide additional office space for the police station.  The building was built of local brick with a Welsh slate roof.  There are sandstone surrounds to the central sash windows and to the three round-arched entrances, the central one which bears the inscription POLICE STATION 1847.


Up until mid-2005 this was the oldest working police station in North Lincolnshire but now the police have moved to a new purpose built station in the grounds of Providence House along Holydyke.

Next >>

Back to Victorian Walk

Back to History Page Back to Picture Gallery

 


copyright 2011 Dazxtm