The Lost Street Names of Barton


There are many street (and location) names still talked about in Barton that no longer exist, for example, how many of the younger generation actually know where the Butchery is?  It is important these names are preserved for future generations so, with the help of inbarton, I aim to do just that.  In this page the lost street names will be listed with their current name, if the street still exists, and their possible location.  Hopefully this will become a useful reference for anyone reading the history of Barton from one of the many various sources available.  Some of these streets may never have been marked with their old name, they may just have been known by their old name by locals, but they are still an important part of the history of Barton.

Lost Street Name Current Street Name Location and Notes
Back Lane not applicable Possibly another name for Robinson Row.
Bank Street Holydyke Bank Street was another name for Holydyke in the late 19th century.  It changed to Holydyke in June 1871.
Barrow Lane Market Lane Another old name for Market Lane.
Barton Street Caistor Road Caistor Road has been known as Old Street, Barton Street/Lane and Thornton Gate.
Bondell Bridge not applicable This is the name for a small bridge which linked Whitecross Street with Priestgate at the junction between the two.
Bow Bridge not applicable This is another name for a small bridge which linked Whitecross Street with Priestgate at the junction between the two.
Butchery Butchery This is the short-cut between the Market Place and George Street/Priestgate.
Castle Dyke Holydyke Not to be confused with the current Castledyke, Castle Dyke became known as Holydyke in the mid-1700s.
Clifford's Avenue Pasture Road The row of terraced houses on Pasture Road, starting with current number 45 (aiming north) which was 1 Clifford's Avenue.
Ferriby Middle Gate West Acridge A past name for West Acridge
Finkle Row not applicable A little row or lane of around six properties directly to the west of New Hall.
Gascrick Barton Haven The Haven in Barton was known as Gascrick in the 13th century.
Gospel Lane unknown as yet  
Hawthorne Lane Eastfield Road The  name of Eastfield Road in use in the 14th century.
Horsegate Chapel Lane The eastern end of Chapel Lane was also referred to as Horsegate in the 16th century.
Houndgate Chapel Lane The western end of Chapel Lane was also referred to as Houndgate in the 16th century.
Hungate Chapel Lane Hungate was an earlier name for Chapel Lane.
Hunters Lane Hungate Hunters Lane was an earlier name for Hungate.
Intack Lane East Acridge The name of East Acridge in the 17th century.
Lovers Lane Preston Lane Possibly known as this in the early 1900s
Lower Ings Road Far Ings Road Lower Ings Road is an early name for Far Ings Road.
Malthouse Lane Maltby Lane Maltby Lane was also known as Malthouse Lane in the 18th century.
Maltkiln Lane Maltby Lane Not to be confused with the current Maltkiln Lane, Maltby name was so called up to 1796 when it was renamed after the family of John Maltby.
Marketgate Market Lane As far back as 1343 Market Lane was known as Marketgate.  It was also known as Barrow Lane.
Market Street George Street The name of George Street when the market was in the northern section of the Butchery area.  It changed to George Street in June 1871.
Mercatum Market Place Known as Mercatum in 1086, Market Place has also been called Market Stead in the 17th century.
New Gate Newport New Gate is a very early name for Newport.
New Road Queens Avenue New Road was the original name of Queens Avenue.
New Street Queen Street New Street was the original name of Queen Street.
Newport Lane Maltby Lane Another early name for Maltby Lane.
Nightingale Lane unknown as yet  
North Parade not applicable An area of land just to the east of the White Swan, possibly the original name of the row of houses situated there.
Nott Hill part of Southergate/Beck Hill Nott Hill is the area of land between the Beck and Soutergate.
Old Chapel Yard Cottage Lane Cottage Lane was also known as Old Chapel Yard.
Old Market Lane George Street & King Street When the market was in the Butchery area George Street was known as Market Street, but when the market moved to the Market Place George Street and King Street became known as Old Market Lane.  It became King Street in June 1871.
Old Street Caistor Road Caistor Road has been known as Old Street, Barton Street/Lane and Thornton Gate.
Paragon Terrace not applicable Paragon Terrace is the name of the row of terraced houses on Barrow Road starting at number 61.
Pottery Lane Marsh Lane Pottery Lane is an old name for the northern end of Marsh Lane.
Robinson Row not applicable This was a row of houses to the east of the Butchery.
Sandy Lane Cottage Lane Prior to 1825 Cottage Lane was known as Sandy Lane.
Sheepdyke Road Pasture Road Pasture Road was known as Sheepdyke Road and Washdyke Road up to 1796.
Silver Street Whitecross Street Whitecross Street was also referred to as Silver Street in the mid-1800's.
Sootergate Whitecross Street Whitecross Street has also been referred to as Sootergate.
Southgate Whitecross Street Originally known as Southgate in the 15th century, then Southgate Street in the 17th century before Whitecross Street in 1799.
St. James Cross Thornton Road/Burnam Road junction The point at which Thornton Road and Burnham Road meet was known as St. James Cross.
Stable Lane gone Stable Lane disappeared underneath the approach road to the Humber Bridge.
Stonebridge Way Butts Road The western part of Butts Road, the part around the White Swan and Fleetgate.
Swan Lane Maltby Lane Another earlier name for Maltby Lane.
Tangarth Lane Catherine Street The name of Catherine Street in the 17th century.
Tangarth Row Queen Street (part of) The row of properties lying between Newport and Catherine street on the east of the road.
Thornton Gate Caistor Road Caistor Road has been known as Old Street, Barton Street/Lane and Thornton Gate.
Town End Road Preston Lane Preston name got its current name (from the Preston family) in the early 19th century.
Upper Ings Road Dam Road Upper Ings Road is an early name for Dam Road.
Waddel Hill not applicable This is the hill at the top of Brigg Road.
Washdyke Road Pasture Road Pasture Road was known as Sheepdyke Road and Washdyke Road up to 1796.
Waterslacks Road not applicable This is the south side of Horkstow Road
Willow Tree Lane Pasture Road North This is part of Pasture Road, south of the current level crossing.
Winship Flags not applicable Winship Flags was the name of the row of houses on the south side of High Street, opposite the Coach and Horses, now occupied by the supermarket.
Winship Lane Eastfield Road The name of Eastfield Road in the 17th century, after the Winship family in around 1653.

These names have been taken from various sources and are probably just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the names the streets of Barton were known as.  They are not just official names but can be local names which were never officially recognised.  If anyone knows of other streets (or locations) not listed above, or has any information to add to the above, please contact info@inbarton.co.uk and I will update the page accordingly.  With your help we can preserve the old street names of Barton.

Back to History Page Back to Picture Gallery

copyright 2016 Dazxtm