Barton, like many towns, has lost a number of its public houses and inns (and beer houses) over the years. Inbarton has delved into the archives to report on some of the pubs and inns that have vanished from our streets and to bring them back to life in a small way.
The Black Bull
The Black Bull inn was situated in the Market Place (number 13), and occupied the site where the current toilets and bus stop are. The name Black Bull would suggest a link with heraldry and sport. The colours black, white, red and gold all usually signified heraldry, and during the reign of Henry VIII (1491-1547) sporty pub names were fashionable. This could suggest the origins of the Black Bull in Barton stretch back to the late 15th century, although as yet details from the late 18th century is as far back as we can go here.
It is in 1791 that the first record of the Black Bull in a trade directory can be found. From 1791 to around 1830 Mrs Hannah Glentworth was the victualler (publican) of the Black Bull. Some time before 1835 William Hardy and his wife Mary took over the running of the pub. The census of 1841 show both William and Mary to be 40 years old. Sometime between 1842 and 1849 William died leaving Mary as the sole publican, a role which she continued in until around 1861 when she was recorded as a 61 year old widow. Some time before 1868 Mary's son William took over the running of the pub, along with his wife Ann. In a cruel twist of fate by the 1871 Ann was a widow just as her mother-in-law around 30 years before her. By 1876 James Allen had married the widowed Ann and was recorded as the landlord of the Black Bull. The census of 1881 recorded James at 35 years old and Ann at 39. James and Ann Allen continued running the pub until sometime after 1901, giving over 25 years of stability. The pub entered turbulent times after this, having three different recorded publicans in eight years. First, in 1905, Herbert Pickering was recorded as the landlord. Next, in 1909, George Jack was recorded as the landlord. Finally, in 1913, Charles Mahor was recorded as the landlord. It is after this date that the trail runs out.
There is a reference to the Cock Inn in the early 1700s. It was situated four doors to the north of the Blue Bell inn, although this will not be the current four doors north. The name Cock Inn was highly likely to be a sporting name and would probably signify cockfighting took place here. This pub was unoccupied by 1770 and no longer exists.
Flying Horse Inn
The Flying Horse Inn was situated on the north side of High Street, very close to its junction with Finkle Lane, roughly in the area of the current dentist. The Flying Horse Inn is a great example of a beer house which was large or important enough to be recorded as an inn in the 1901 census, even though it wasn't one. At this time Richard Sempers was living there, but was recorded as a carrier and bus proprietor, suggesting the Flying Horse was coming to the end of its beer house life. Richard Sempers had been recorded as a beer retailer or his premises as a beer house from 1889 to around 1905, but after this time he was classed as a shopkeeper, which would tie in nicely with his carrier occupation in the 1901 census. Between 1882 and 1885 Francis Bainbridge was the beer retailer along High Street, presumably at the Flying Horse Inn. Prior to this date there were two recorded beer houses on High Street so either one could have been the Flying Horse Inn. The name Flying Horse was probably so named in an attempt to attract the custom from the stage and mail coaches which passed through Barton to London and Hull daily.
The Jolly Sailor Tavern
The Jolly Sailor Tavern was situated on the east side of Whitecross Street, almost opposite the junction with Priestgate. The Jolly Sailor Tavern is another example of a beer house, one that was only around for a short time. The Jolly Sailor seems an odd name for a pub or beer house so far away from the river, but it may have been named so due to the carrier business that William Stamp operated close by. 1885 was the first recorded beer house here, the retailer being Robert Green. Between 1889 and 1901 John Hair was the beer retailer and shopkeeper operating from these premises and finally in 1905 Charles Barraclough was the beer retailer and shopkeeper here. The Jolly Sailor Tavern probably closed very soon after this as just across the road at this time opened the new Whitecross Tavern.
The Queen Inn/Six Bells
The Six Bells pub (later Queen Inn) was situated in the Butchery, and the building is now currently occupied by the Evangelical church. The original name of Six Bells probably signifies an old belief in the magical powers bells had to protect against evil spirits, and probably puts the pub age earlier than the records inbarton has compiled.
|A recent picture of the old Queen Inn.|
It is in 1791 that the first record of the Six Bells in a trade directory can be found. From 1791 right through to around 1842 Ann Cox was the victualler of the Six Bells. Sometime after 1842 but before 1849 James Walker took over the running of the pub, and changed its name to the Queen Inn. It is highly likely this was done around 1837 to coincide with the start of the reign of Queen Victoria. The census return of 1851 shows the age of James to be 31 and his wife, Fanny, to be 24. By the census of 1861 James has remarried, probably after the death of his first wife. Rachel is now his wife, aged 37. Sometime around 1868 William Bell took over the running of the pub and this signified the start of an unsettled area for the Queen Inn. By 1871 Rebecca Widmall, a 51 year old widow, had taken over the pub but by 1872 George Quibell Hall was recorded as the landlord. By 1876 William Bickerton was the landlord and by the census of 1881 William Huddleston was the landlord, aged 64 as was his wife Frances. By 1889 Richard Tapling was the publican and by 1892 Charles Frederick Tuplin was the landlord. In 1900 the premises were bought by Hewitt Brothers, who were brewers of Grimsby. The final recorded landlord (that inbarton can find in a trade directory) was William Thomas Lammin who, by the census of 1901, was aged 41 and married to Alice aged 40. By 1905 it was Mrs Alice Lammin recorded as the landlady, presumably after the death of William, and again recorded in 1907. Sometime between 1907 and 1911 Hewitt Brothers closed the pub and turned it into a private residence, and it was recorded as such in the 1911 census (Hewitt Brothers were thought to own the George at this time too, so was the Queen Inn closed to reduce competition?). In 1963 Hewitt Brothers sold the premises to Mr Ashley, a plumber, who used it as a store room, adding a covenant to the sale documents preventing the site from ever being used again for the manufacture or sale of alcohol. It was bought by the Evangelical Church in 1978.
With thanks to Jim Vincent for the history of the Queen Inn site from the 1900s onwards.
The Roper's Arms Inn
Wood Chapman was granted a temporary license to run the Roper's Arms Inn in Barton in April 1885. There are no more details as yet of where this pub (or more likely beer house) was situated, but I would like to guess it was somewhere close to Hall's Ropery, hoping to attract the workers as they left work.
The Royal Vaults
The Royal Vaults may be one of the newer "lost pubs" of Barton, only being recorded after 1882. The Royal Vaults was situated on Waterside Road, and the first recorded victualler was John Gosling who was classed as "grocer, draper and wine and spirit merchant and victualler of the Royal Vaults". One year earlier, in the 1881 census, John was still situated on Waterside Road but was just classed as a "grocer & draper", as he was in a trade directory of 1876. We can assume from this that John converted the premises on Waterside Road into the Royal Vaults pub. Some time before 1889 James Downing took over the running of the pub and by the 1891 census John Slater was the publican. From 1892 through to sometime after 1901 George Henry Smith was the publican of the Royal Vaults. The census of 1901 records George to be 45 years old, and his wife Elizabeth to be 36. By 1905 Elizabeth had taken over the running of the pub, presumably after the death of her husband. By 1909 Charles Barraclough had taken over the Royal Vaults and continued until sometime after 1926. The Royal Vaults remained a licensed pub until around 1967 when it became a bed and breakfast establishment. It is now neither.
The Steam Packet
The local Barton folk will, at this point, be saying "the Steam Packet is not lost, it has been renamed as Charlies". This is true, the current Steam Packet has been renamed Charlies, however, the original Steam Packet was demolished in 1848 to make way for the Barton to New Holland Railway. A newspaper report of the time states "Workmen are actively engaged in removing a number of old buildings, in Barton, to make way for the new terminus - amongst others, the public house known as the "Steam Packet", and kept for many years by Mr James Sowerby, is now being levelled to the ground; the license, however, has been transferred to a more commodious house, a few yards further towards the town, and which bears the old sign of "Steam Packet Inn".
The Waggon and Horses
The Waggon and Horses pub was situated on the corner of Fleetgate and West Acridge, standing almost exactly on the site of the current St. John's Ambulance building. Many pub names were linked to the sort of trade they attracted so it is likely the Waggon and Horses was so named because of the abundance of waggons and carts that visited the pub.
|The site of the Waggon and Horses Pub today.||The Waggon and Horses pub visible to the left.
(picture courtesy of Brian Peeps)
The first record for the Waggon and Horses comes from a trade directory of 1822 when William Brooks was the publican. A mere four years later Francis Wealsby was the publican and just two years after that it was John Brewer. By 1835 Thomas Millson was the victualler and he continued in this role up to 1841 when, according to census records, he was 50 years old. During 1841 Joseph Cook took over the pub from Thomas and sometime before 1849 Alfred Moss took over the pub from Joseph. By 1855 John Burnett had taken over the Waggon and Horses and for the first time seemed to bring some stability to the pub. John continued being the landlord until after 1872, by which time he was 51 years of age. By 1876 John Wroe was the landlord but by the 1881 census it was 41 year old Charles Ward who was the innkeeper. Charles continued until sometime between 1885 and 1889 when Walter Parkinson took over the role. In the 1891 census Walter was aged 27 and his wife, Alice, as aged 24 and it was Alice who took over the role of publican in 1900 after the death of her husband. Alice continued in this role until sometime before 1918 when Alfred Espin became the landlord. Again it would seem that Alfred died as by 1922 it was Mrs Lucy Elizabeth Espin in charge. The final landlady recorded for the Waggon and Horses was Lucy Johnson in 1926. By 1933 the pub had been demolished to be replaced by the new Hull Savings Bank building.
The Waterside Inn
The Waterside Inn was situated just opposite the landing point for the ferries between Barton and Hull, and is currently a house situated just opposite the Waters' Edge Country Park. It may well be one of the easiest public houses to explain the name of, being so close to Barton Waterside. The Waterside Inn was the main meeting point for the Stage and Mail coaches that travelled between Barton, Lincoln and London and for the carriers who travelled over to Hull.
|A recent picture of the old Waterside Inn.|
The first record in a trade directory of the Waterside Inn was of Thomas Walker in 1791, but it is almost certain that the inn was in existence before then due to the coach services, even if it was a different building to the current one which was built around 1715. By 1822 Thomas Wood was the victualler and in 1826 it was Dinah, his wife, recorded as the victualler, presumably after the death of Thomas. 1835 saw Frances Bradley as the publican before James Clapson was recorded in the 1841 census. James was aged 45 and lived at the Waterside Inn with his wife, Ruth aged 50, and his two daughters Sarah aged 20 and Ann aged 15. James was still the landlord in 1850 but by the census of 1851 Robert Watt had taken over the premises. It was around this time that the coaching era in Barton was coming to an end so the Waterside Inn would have undoubtedly suffered as a result, loosing the passing coaching trade to the railways. By 1855 Henry Turgoose was the landlord and by 1868 Mrs Agnes Black, a 48 year old widow from Scotland, was the victualler. Agnes continued here until around 1881 when the census recorded John Moodie as the inn keeper. The Waterside Inn must have been struggling to survive as there was a succession of publicans over the next 30 odd years trying to make a living. In 1882 George Beaumont was recorded as the victualler, in 1885 it was Isaac Ellis and by 1889 it was William Shirley Moore. The census of 1891 recorded Joseph Reynolds as the publican but by 1892 he had been replaced by Henry Marshall Holmes. In 1896 Richard Thompson was the recorded publican but by 1900 he had been replaced by William Backer. Again the 1901 census recorded a new owner, Charles Foster, who was quickly replaced by William Blacker. By 1905 Mrs Sarah Johnson was the publican and again was replaced soon after by Mrs Florence Russell. Finally by 1913 things had started to calm down with the arrival of George Robinson and his wife Phoebe as publicans. This was not the end of the troubles for Waterside Inn as by 1918 George had died leaving his wife in charge, which she did through to 1922. By 1926 Phoebe may have remarried as the landlady was now recorded as Phoebe S Pattison (George's wife was also Phoebe S). 1930 saw the last recorded name for the Waterside Inn, Frederick Atkinson, who continued here through to beyond 1937.
The White Lion
The White Lion public house was situated in the Market Place (number 16), and occupied the site where Best Wishes of Barton currently is. The name White Lion, like the Black Bull, suggests a link with heraldry, although it is unlikely there was lion baiting as a sport here. It is possible the pub dates back to the time of Edward IV, or the mid-15th century, even if the current building is older.
|A recent picture of the Market Place.||The White Lion pub in the centre right of the picture
with the Black Bull pub in the distance.
(picture courtesy of Brian Peeps)
It is in 1791 that the first record of the White Lion in a trade directory can be found. From 1791 to sometime before 1822 Law Newton was the recorded victualler. In 1822 it was Ann Newton who was recorded as the victualler, presumably Law's wife or less likely his daughter. Ann Newton continued here until sometime after 1830 because by 1835 it was Thomas Eve who was recorded as the victualler. These early years of the White Lion saw a succession of publicans, as by 1841 John Pearson Horsfall was the recorded victualler but by 1842 it was Henry Gibson. By 1849 George Goodman was the publican and by 1850 it was George Goodwin (who may just have been the same person with an incorrectly spelt surname in either year). In 1851 38 year old John Sergeant was the innkeeper, along with his 37 year old wife Ann and family. By 1855 however the Sergeant family had been replaced by Colin Bowskin who in turn was replaced, by 1856, by Robert Gowland. The 1861 census saw the start of a settled period for the White Lion. 29 year old Frank Nicholson was the recorded inn keeper, along with his 25 year old wife Elizabeth and family. Frank continued in this role up to 1872 before Robert Whittaker had taken over sometime before 1876. Robert continued through to sometime shortly before 1885 when Foster Middleton took over the running of the pub, and with him came the longest period of stability the pub had seen, possibly ever. Foster, who in the census of 1891 was aged 55 and was living with his 59 year old wife Mary Ann, his two daughters Mary Ellen aged 31, Florence aged 20 and his son Fred aged 22, continued as publican up to 1905 when his son, Fred, took over the inn keeper role. Fred married Louise and between them ran the business through to sometime after 1937. There is a gap between the war years and after until around 1967 when Frederick Regester was the recorded landlord. By 1973 Kenneth Cox had taken over the premises to expand his house furnishing business into before becoming the China Shop and then Best Wishes. The pub sign bracket can still be seen above the building.
The Whitecross Tavern
The Whitecross Tavern was situated on the north corner of the junction between Whitecross Street and Priestgate and would have stood almost opposite the old Jolly Sailor Tavern. This is yet another example of a beer house and again was around for a relatively short time. The name Whitecross Tavern is probably nothing more exiting than the fact it is a tavern situated on Whitecross Street. The first recorded beer retailer here was Twydale Stamp who operated between 1905 and 1909. By 1913 William Knapp had taken over the business and by 1918 it had passed to Walter Guy. Finally by 1922 it was being run by George William Bradley, and he continued here until 1926 when after this time there was nothing recorded for this beer house, suggesting it had closed.
There are other lost pubs in Barton that have not been documented anywhere near as comprehensively as those above, most of them never expanding above the role of beer house, and many which may never have had names or if they did are lost forever. The Beer Act of 1830 created the Victorian beer house. This act allowed any rate payer to buy a licence to brew and sell beer. Any more lost pubs and beer houses which are discovered will be added here at a later date.
|© copyright 2012 Dazxtm|