Picture Gallery


Places to see in Barton upon Humber, click on the thumbnail to enlarge or come and see the real thing.
Images are arranged into two distinct areas :-

In and around the town of Barton

The waterside area of Barton

All images on this page are genuine inbarton.co.uk images (unless otherwise stated). You may see the same image elsewhere but it will have come from here.

In and around the town of Barton

Aerial Views Location Notes
Whitecross Street Whitecross Street Looking north along Whitecross Street, with St. Peter's church visible in the background on the right, and part of St. Mary's church visible in the background on the left.
Barrow Road Barrow Road Looking east along Barrow Road with the Blue Bell pub in the foreground and Baysgarth School in the distance.
Baysgarth Park and Museum Baysgarth Park and Museum Looking south along Whitecross Street, leading to Baysgarth park and museum on the right.  Bardney Hall is on the left.
Market Place The Old Mill pub and the Market Place Looking west towards the Old Mill pub, the Market Place and along Holydyke.
Churches Location Notes
St Peter's Church St Peters Church - Beck Hill, Barton upon Humber The earliest part of the church was built c.970 and is probably Barton's most significant building.
more history and information ....
CSGW12
St Mary's Church St Mary's Church - Beck Hill, Barton upon Humber Originally built as a chapel of ease to St Peter's but is now equally as large.
more history and information ....
See the view from the tower roof.
Methodist Chapel Methodist Church - Holydyke, Barton upon Humber Originally built as the Wesleyan Chapel in 1862.
CSVW13
Others    
Assembly Rooms Assembly Rooms - Queen Street, Barton upon Humber Originally built as the Temperance Hall in 1843 at a cost of 700. It was opened as the Assembly Rooms in 1906.
Click here for information.
Virtual Victorian Barton walk.
CSVW9
Bardney Hall Bardney Hall - Whitecross Street, Barton upon Humber Close to Baysgarth Park it was built in the early 1700s for William Gildas (private residence).
CSGW2
Baysgarth House Museum Baysgarth House Museum - Preston Lane, Barton upon Humber Situated in Baysgarth Park and was given to the town in 1930. The present building dates to 1731. View the history of Baysgarth here
CSGW1
The Beck The Beck - Beck Hill, Barton upon Humber Situated between St Peter's and St Mary's churches. It is usually dry in summer but can fill up after heavy spells of rain during the winter.
CSGW10
Old Charity School Former Charity School - Queen Street - Barton upon Humber Formerly the Charity School which was built in 1831 (private residence).
CSVW8
Cob Hall Cob Hall - Priestgate, Barton upon Humber Is dated to 1766 and was built by Thomas and Elizabeth Marris (private residence).
CSGW7
The Constitutional Club The Corn Exchange Club - Market Place, Barton upon Humber Formerly the Barton Corn Exchange and then the Conservative Club.
CSVW1
Eagle House - Fleetgate Eagle House - Fleetgate, Barton upon Humber Designed in 1829 by R. Nevis of Hull for John Hall the rope maker. Now sadly in disrepair after a fire in 2014.
Elmtree house Elmtree House - High Street, Barton upon Humber Built around 1845 for George Ingram, a local brickyard owner.
The former offices of Fred Hopper and the Elswick Hopper Cycle company. A major cycle manufacturer from Barton upon Humber, now flats.
Hull Savings Bank Old Hull Savings Bank (now St John Ambulance HQ) - Fleetgate, Barton upon Humber Originally the Hull Savings Bank and also TSB. Built in the 1930's on the site of the old Waggon and Horses Inn.  Read more on the Lost Pubs and Inns of Barton.
The Old Mill Kings Garth Mill (The Old Mill) - Market Lane, Barton upon Humber Originally this mill had six sails and was used as a mill up to 1950. It is now a public house. It was built on the site of an old Anglo-Saxon Cemetery which has since been excavated.
CSGW4
More on the Windmills of Barton.
Laurel House Laurel House - Whitecross Street, Barton upon Humber Built in the 1780s for William Benton (private residence).
CSGW16
Old National and Infants School The National and Infants School - Queen Street, Barton upon Humber
(Image kindly reproduced with permission)
Originally built as the National and Infants School in 1844. The foundation stone was laid by Rev. George Uppleby on the 6th January 1845. The land cost 250 to purchase ad the building work cost 846. 18s 0d. The school eventually became the Church of England School and closed in November 1978.
Click here for information.
Virtual Victorian Barton walk.
CSVW7
New Hall - Newport This building dates from the 1690s or 1700s, although it may have earlier origins.
Odd Fellows' Hall Odd Fellows' Hall - High Street, Barton upon Humber Originally built by the Good Design Lodge, a Friendly Society, 1864.
Click here for information.
Virtual Victorian Barton walk.
CSVW4
Police Station Old Police Station - High Street, Barton upon Humber Old Court House and police station which was built in 1847 apparently on the foundations of a mansion house. The new police station is now on Holydyke. Click here for information.
Virtual Victorian Barton walk.
CSVW3
Providence House Providence House - Holydyke, Barton upon Humber Built in 1854 for Thomas Tombleson. It has also been on orphanage and a school annex but is now the town library and adult education centre.
CSVW12
The old Queen Inn, the Butchery. The old Queen Inn - The Butchery, Barton upon Humber. Now the Barton Evangelical Church.  One of the lost pubs of Barton.  Read more on the Lost Pubs and Inns of Barton.
Salvation Army Citadel Salvation Army Citadel - Queen Street, Barton upon Humber Originally built as the Primitive Methodist Church and was open by Christmas1867. It ceased being a Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1961 and was reopened as a Salvation Army Citadel in 1965.
Click here for information.
Virtual Victorian Barton walk.
CSVW6
School house The School House - Queen Street, Barton upon Humber (now demolished - Image kindly reproduced with permission) The school master of the National and Infants school lived in the north east corner of the school before the School House was built in 1883. It was one of the first houses in the town to be built with cavity brickwork and cost around 300 19s 3d to built. It was controversially demolished in 1987 to make way for a car park.
Tyrwhitt Hall Tyrwhitt Hall - Beck Hill, Barton upon Humber A 15th century building (private residence) with a large timber framed open hall.
CSGW13
The Old Vicarage The Old Vicarage - Beck Hill, Barton upon Humber Chad Varah, the founder of the Samaritans was born here (business/private premises).
CSGW11
Wesleyan School Youth Club - Maltby Lane, Barton upon Humber Originally opened as the Wesleyan School. Now called The Hub.
CSVW11
51 Fleetgate 51 Fleetgate - Barton upon Humber Barton's oldest house - 51 Fleetgate.
more....

The waterside area of Barton

Old Coastguard Station Barton Coastguard Station - Viewing Area, Barton upon Humber Opened in 1880 by the Duke of Edinburgh, and closed in the early 1920's. Now an information point at the start of the Viking Way.
CSWW1
The Coastguard Houses Coastguard Cottages - Waterside Road, Barton upon Humber Built in 1862 for the eight boatmen who were coastguards.
CSWW18
Claypits Country Park Claypits Country Park - Barton upon Humber Situated at the Humber Bridge viewing area.
CSWW4
Far Ings National Nature Reserve Visitors Centre Far Ings National Nature Reserve - Barton upon Humber Owned by the Lincolnshire Trust. Created on the site of old brick and tile making industry.
more...
Barton Haven The Haven - Barton upon Humber Once a thriving waterway. Great views from the newly built bridge linking Waters' Edge Country Park and the Claypits Country Park.
Tower of Hewson's Mill Hewson's Mill - Waterside Road, Barton upon Humber This mill was built in 1813 and used to grind grain.
CSWW6
More on the Windmills of Barton.
The Humber Bridge The Humber Bridge - Barton upon Humber Opened in 1981 and replaced the ferry service between New Holland and Hull. When first opened it was the longest single span suspension bridge in the world.
more...
CSWW3
The Ropewalk Ropewalk - Maltkiln Lane, Barton upon Humber Originally the site of Hall's Barton Ropery Co Ltd established in 1767. The ropery closed in 1989 and has now reopened as an art gallery and museum.
more....
CSWW12
Waterside House Waterside House - Waterside Road, Barton upon Humber Originally the Waterside Inn, the main Inn for Royal Mail coaches and stage coaches in Barton.  Dates from 1715. Read more on the Lost Pubs and Inns of Barton.
CSWW17
Waters' Edge Visitors Centre Waters' Edge Country Park - Barton upon Humber Officially opened on 26 April 2001. Created from the site of old industry.
more...
Cement Works Ruins The cement works ruins - Barton upon Humber Closed in 1927 and now ruins. Can be seen along the Humber bank near to the Far Ings nature reserve.
Hoe Hill Tile Yard Hoe Hill tile yard - Barton upon Humber Now owned by William Blyth (established 1840)
more....

Key :-
CSWW? = Civic Society Waterside Walk number?
CSVW? = Civic Society Victorian Walk number?
CSGW? = Civic Society Georgian Walk number?

Home

All these pictures have been taken by inbarton.co.uk and may not be reproduced without permission from the Webmaster first. Contact at images@inbarton.co.uk


copyright 2015 Dazxtm