The Historic Timeline of Barton upon Humber


The aim of this section is to give a summarised history of Barton upon Humber researched from many areas, and is also a record of contemporary history for the town. The information is as accurate as possible but could be subject to minor errors. It will be updated as more information is obtained or new events happen.

Jump to a time period
Mesolithic Neolithic Iron Age Roman Anglo Saxon Viking Norman Middle Ages Tudor Stuart Georgian Victorian Modern

 

Date/Period

Historic Details

Mesolithic top
Between 6000 and 4000 BC Possibly a late Mesolithic settlement in the Barton area.
Neolithic top
around 2000 BC Late Neolithic/Early Bronze Age Barrow built on the slopes of a small valley in the Wolds.
Iron Age top
500 BC - 43 AD An Iron Age pit was built on the site which now houses Kimberly Clark.
Roman top
284-305 Barton was in the Roman province of Flavia Caesariensis.
2nd - 4th Century Roman settlement in the East Acridge area of Barton and to the east of the Beck.
2nd - 5th Century Roman settlement at Glebe Farm in Barton.
3rd - 4th Century Roman settlement at Poor Farm in Barton which included stone buildings and a track way along the Wolds.
Anglo Saxon/Viking top
6th Century The Anglo-Saxons buried their dead in a cemetery which now has the Old Mill public house and a housing estate on it.
628 Christianity was introduced to the province of Lindsey and therefore Barton.
669 The Mercian King gave an estate called aet Bearuwe, which is an area of land including Barton and Barrow, to his Bishop Chad for the foundation of a monastery (probably a wooden structure in Barrow or at the Castledyke cemetery in Barton). This estate split into two parts (Barton and Barrow) in the 11th Century. What happened to Barrow?
around 873 The Vikings (Danes) took control of the region changing society, language and law. The language became mainly Anglo-Viking. Many place names are from this period ie. "Beck" and "Gate".
late 800's to early 900's There was (possibly) a wooden church standing on the site which is now occupied by St. Peter's church.
938 A battle was fought in the town in which the Saxons defeated the Danes.
by 970 Barton was the then dominant settlement with a port being developed at the Haven.
between 970 and 1000 St. Peter's church was constructed (although a much smaller version than is seen today).
by 975 The new country "England" had been created and Bartonians were now "English". Barton found itself in the North Riding of Lindsey.
by 1066 Settlements within the Barton parish had been reorganised to create planned street layouts turning Barton into a town.
Norman top
1066 In the Doomsday Book Barton (then spelt Bertone) was shown to have two mills, a ferry, a church with a priest, and a market. It had a population of about 1000.
1086 By now Barton was North Lincolnshire's main port which traded in wines, fish, grain, peas, wool and hide. It also had a principal ferry service to Hessle and Hull. This carried on throughout the middle ages. The population at this time was around 900. The original market mentioned would probably have been in the area between St. Mary's Lane and Whitecross Street.
1100 (around) St Mary's church would have been built (originally as a chapel of ease to St. Peter's church).
1140 There was a castle built around 1140-1156 during the reign of King Stephen. It would have been a motte and baily within an early ditch. It was possibly situated somewhere between St Peter's Church and Tyrwhitt Hall.
1147 A Papal Bull made reference to a castle in Barton with a mansion outside which belonged to Bardney Abbey. There is no trace of it today so presumably it was an earth and timber structure which may have been somewhere near the massive ditch found to the east of St Peter's church, more than likely the one mentioned above.
1200 All Saints Chapel was rebuilt into, what was to become a few years later,  St. Mary's church.
Middle Ages top
1238 A Charter for an annual fair was granted to the town by Henry III.
1248 St. Mary's church was rededicated in the honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
1292 Edward 1st crossed the Humber from Barton to Hessle taking two days in total, and using eleven barges and boats.
1293 Edward 1st founded "Kingstown" upon Hull which then became the Humber's leading port. This had a devastating effect upon Barton.
1307 Edward 2nd granted Barton a new market and fair by charter.
1314 30 ships assembled at Kingston upon Hull ready for an expedition against Scotland, one of these came from Barton.
1351 Edward II granted a ferry between Barton and Hull, called the South Ferry.
1348-9 The Black Death struck.
1400 (around) 51 Fleetgate would have been built.
1464 Edward IV crossed the Humber from Barton to Hull on his way to York and the Battle of Hexham.
Tudor top
1530 St. Peter's church would by now look similar to the church we see today.
1557 Baysgarth House passed to Thomas Naylor (having been built some time before) See image of Baysgarth House
Stuart top
1600 By now the market place had moved to the Butchery.
1642 The Civil War had an effect on Barton due to its proximity to Hull.
1690 New Hall was built (On the corner of Queens Avenue and Newport) its porch being originally from the nave of Beverley Minster..
early 1700's Bardney Hall was built (which is said to have a secret passage to Thornton Abbey). It stands on the site of Bardney Abbey rectory.
1703 Brick making began in Barton.
Georgian top
1715 Waterside Inn was built. Royal Mail coaches ran daily from here to London. It then became a ferry office and then a public house. It became private housing in 1960.
1730 There was a large fire in Barton, burning properties on the south side of the Market Place to the ground.
1752 Between 3rd and 13th September of this year nothing happened, nothing at all. This was the time the Gregorian calendar replaced the Julian calendar in Britain ( and consequently Barton). The Gregorian calendar was 11 days in front of the Julian calendar so 14th September followed the 2nd September.
1762 Violent weather caused several vessels to be lost in the Humber.
1765 The Barton Waterside to Riseholme Turnpike Road Trust (generally known as the Brigg Turnpike Trust) was set up. The toll bars on this road in Barton were fixed at Barton Waterside near the watermill at the north side of the Ings gate.
1767 Hall's Barton Ropery was established.
1790 The North Lincolnshire Bank opened with its head office in Barton.
1793 - 1796 The Enclosure of Barton was most of Bartons' outer roads established.
1801 By now the population was 1709.
1803 A contingent of Barton volunteers formed in response to the threatened invasion by Napoleon. (This is where the Volunteer Arms Public House gets its name.)
1806 The Providence Chapel was built.
1812 By now the population had grown to 2204, the first steam packet ferry was used and the North Lincolnshire Bank failed.
1813 Hewson's Mill was built (along with two more) on Waterside Road to grind grain.
1819 Kings Garth Mill was built on the site of a pagan Anglo-Saxon cemetery. It continued in use until 1950.
1821 By now the population was 2496.
1825 A jetty was built for the new steam ferry which the coastguard also used to launch their boats from.
1827 Queen Street was opened as New Road as it was originally known.
1829 Eagle House was designed and built for John Hall, one of Barton's wealthy rope-makers.
1831 The Charity School on Queens Street was built which boasted having Isaac Pitman (the inventor of shorthand) as it's first master. The population had grown to 3233.
1836 The Lincolnshire Show was held at Barton upon Humber this year. There were many classes in which servants and labourers won premiums (prizes). William Elsom of Tathwell won the premium of 7 for rearing thirteen children and placing out another ten in the class of "labourer having raised most children without parochial releif".
Victorian top
1841 By now the population had grown to 3466.
1842 The Charity School on Queens Street closed.
1843 The Temperance Hall was built. This became the Assembly rooms after it was closed in 1903. Also this year Elm Tree House was built.
1844 The National and Infant (Church) School, whose first teacher was Samuel Wilderspin, was built.
1845 The National and Infant (Church) School opened in January..
1846 Ship building was started in Barton by George Hill and the Barton Gas Company was established on Dam Road.
1847 The police station, with superintendents house and court room , was built.
The last wife to be sold in Barton (and maybe England) was by George Wray of Barrow. He sold his wife to William Harewood for 1s 3.5d. Both men were charged and sent to jail for two months.
1848 The Barton mail coach service to London via Lincoln and to Hull stopped running because of the imminent opening of the railway.
January 1848 14th - the new magistrates' court was used for the first time on this day and replaced the George Inn as the venue.
1849 The New Holland to Barton railway line was laid (which was intended as a through line) and the station (which was demolished in 1973) was built around 1855.
1849 The Barton Town Cricket Club was founded and is now one of the oldest clubs in Lincolnshire. It can still be found on Marsh Lane.
October 1849 The churchwardens of St. Peter's church purchased a piece of land from William Graburn esq. for the purpose of enlarging the church yard.
November 1849 Small Pox hit the town during this month with both adults and children showing the unmistakable scarring to their faces.  Only one case was fatal however.
November 1850 The Hooping cough was very prevalent in the town with scarcely a house where a young child has escaped it.
1851 By now the population was 3866. The ferry service from Barton to Hull ceased to run, the main ferry service was now New Holland to Hull.
October 1851 7th - Mr Hall celebrated the 50th anniversary of being in business at Barton.  He treated his workmen and their wives to tea and supper at the White Swan Inn.
November 1853 A new butter market was used for the first time in Barton this month.
The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway company pulled down the old houses which served as a station for Barton to prepare for the erection of a more commodious building.
1854 The Providence House was built for Thomas Tombleson. It was later given to the National Children's Homes for an orphanage which it remained until 1940. It is now the library. Also, the Corn Exchange was built which is now the Barton Corn Exchange Club.
1855 St Mary's churchyard was closed to burials except for the vaults and brick graves.
July 1857 When the old house of Mr Minto was pulled down this month nearly 300 mould and dip candles were found under the floor of the upper garret.
1858 The Charity School on Queens Street was converted to two houses.
1859 St. Peter's Church was re-seated with 760 sittings costing 1100.
1860 St. Mary's churchyard was closed.
1861 The population had dropped to 3797. View A Snapshot of Barton in 1861
1862/3 The Wesleyan Chapel was built on the corner of Chapel Lane/Vestry Lane. It is still in use today as the Methodist Church. It was designed by W Alfred Gelder. Also this year eight Coastguard houses were built near the Boathouse.
1864 The Odd Fellows' Hall was built as a hall for the Barton Good Design Lodge. This later became Barton's first picture house (called the Electric Theatre).
1866 The Wesleyan School was erected and opened in Maltby Lane. In 1914 it closed.
September 1866 Vestry meetings of the St. Peter's and St. Mary's churches were held to discuss the question of a new cemetery.  They sanctioned 3000 to purchase and create the cemetery (the land costing 1000).  The Government had allowed 30 years to repay this amount, but the majority of ratepayers desired to have it repaid after 10 years.  The chairman of the group decided on not less than 20 years so it wasn't such a burden on the less well-off residents.  It was envisaged that the cemetery (including buildings) would be complete within nine months.
1867 The Cemetery was formed at a cost of around 3000.
The Primitive Methodist Church was built on Queens Street. This stopped being used as a Methodist Church in 1961 and is now the Salvation Army Citadel.
1871 The population rose again to 4332.
1872 View A Snapshot of Barton in 1872.
1874 The Farmers Company (BritAg) began producing fertilisers along side the Haven.
1877 The Barton-upon-Humber and North Lincolnshire Permanent Building Society was established.
1880 F Hopper cycle works opened which at one time was the largest in England and the Coastguard station also opened.
1881 The population was now 5339.
January 1881 A clinker-build British oak Keel was launched from the yard of Mr Wm Hoggard at the Waterside this month.  She was called "The Fruits of Industry" and was about 90 tons burthen, and was owned by Mr Geo. Sweeting.
1882 The Wesleyan Methodist Mission Church was built and now stands derelict.
July 1882 The large old-fashioned house recently owned my Mt Pigott, along Fleetgate, has been altered and rearranged into a cocoa house by the Cocoa-House Movement to help temperance and sobriety in the town.
February 1883 There was a property sale at the George Hotel this month.  The Waterside Inn was bought by Mr J R Sutton (of Brigg) for 765 and the Barton Ferries and adjoining wharf land were bought by Mr Hardy (of Hull) for 470.
May 1884 6th - The May Statute Fair for hiring servants was held on this day.  The range of wages on offer were Foreman/First waggoners 18 to 22, second waggoners 12 to 16, boys 6 to 10 and girls 4 10s to 10.
June 1884 15th - The Regatta was held on this day just before high tide at the Barton jetty.  The winner of the Sculling race was C Akester, the winners of the two-oared race were W and H Oldridge, the winner of the under 16 Sculling race was Jas. Barraclough, the winners of the Shovel race were C Matthews and Richmond and the winners of the over 40's Sculling race were Captain Sweeting and Jno. Barraclough.
August 1884 The Steam Packet Inn and a dwelling house behind it was sold by auction at the George Hotel during this month.  It was sold to Mr Herbert Wilson for 231.
1885 St. Peter's churchyard closed.
1889 The Water Works was built on Caistor Road.
1890 Skelseys Adamont Cement Co Ltd opened the cement works along the Humber bank.
1891 The population had dropped to 5226.
1892 View A Snapshot of Barton in 1892
1901 The population rose again to 5671.
Modern top
1902/3 St Chad's Church was built on Waterside Road.
1904 St Chad's Church of England School opened.
1904 There was a proposal by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway company to build the Ackworth and Lindsey Light Railway. This line was to go from Immingham to the Isle of Axholme. This would have continued from the existing line at Barton, along Dam Road and out of Barton, tunnelling under the river Trent and crossed the Isle of Axholme where it would have joined the railway line there. It never happened.
1907 View A Snapshot of Barton in 1907
1911 The population had rose dramatically to 6673.
1912 The cement works along the Humber bank was bought by G&T Earle of Hull.
1914 Barton Electrical Supply Company Limited began on East Acridge and the County School on Castledyke West was built. Britain declare war on Germany and entered World War One.
1918 On November 11, World War One ends with a German defeat.
1921 The population fell to 6453.
1927 The cement works along the Humber bank closed.
1929 The Coastguard station closed and the jetty was demolished.
1930 Baysgarth House and Park was given to the town and its' inhabitants by Mrs Thomas Ramsden.
1931 Barton Grammar School opened and the population fell again to 6332.
1935 On 15th September properties around the Haven were seriously flooded. Click here for a picture of the damage (Courtesy of Brian Peeps)
1939 View A Snapshot of Barton in 1939 - Also on September 3rd Britain, France, Austria and New Zealand declare war on Germany and entered World War Two.
1940 On January 8th rationing began in Britain.
1945 On May 7th the Unconditional surrender of all German forces to the allies took place, with V.E. Day on May 8th.
1951 The population fell once more to 6232.
1961 The population rose again to 6582.
1969 View A Snapshot of Barton in 1969
1971 The populating rose once more to 7522.
1971/2 St Peter's Church became redundant with all services transferring to St Mary's Church.
1972 On the 27th July work started on building the Humber Bridge.
1973 The Railway Station buildings were demolished. View A Snapshot of Barton in 1973
1974 The last boat was built at Barton upon Humber.
1978 The Church on England School (The National and Infant School) was closed and pupils were transferred to the new St Peter's Church of England School on Marsh Lane.
1981 On the 24th June the Humber bridge was opened to the public for the first time, this was also the day the diesel powered ferry Farringford made the final crossing between New Holland and Hull. The Humber Bridge was officially opened by the Queen on 17th July the same year. The population was now 8524.
1985 View A Snapshot of Barton in 1985
1988 The Farmers Company (BritAg) stopped producing fertilisers and the site is now being reclaimed to be used as a recreational area for the people of Barton.
1989 Halls Barton Ropery closed and now has a supermarket alongside it.
1991 Far Ings nature reserve Visitor Centre and Warden's house opened. It was created from restoring an old barn. The population is now 9431.
1993 St Chad's Church and school were demolished.
1997 Proudfoot's supermarket opened on the site of the Old Ropery, part of which remains and is now an art and craft centre.
2001 22 February 2001 a new superstore opened on the site of the old car park on High Street.
2001 12 April 2001 Barton's first Farmers' Market was held in the new Cottage Lane car park. It was smaller than first thought due to the Foot and Mouth crisis but there was still plenty on offer from Ostrich Meat to organic produce. On the 14 June 2001 the Farmer's Market was officially opened by Jack Sugden from Emmerdale. This Farmer's Market was at full strength with many more stalls. (the Farmer's Market in Barton lasted only a short time before closing).
2001 26 April 2001 the southern part of the Waters' Edge nature reserve opened which is situated along the banks of the Humber to the east of the haven.
2001 The population is now 9485.
2002 17 May 2002 an RAF Tornado GR4 crashed into the River Humber just north of Reeds Island. Thankfully no one was killed.
2003 Early February saw the opening of the new footbridge over the Haven. This bridge links the Waters' Edge Country Park and the Claypits Country Park. After many years 2003 saw the brief return of the Waterside Festival.
2004 Autumn saw the start of the construction of the new Waters' Edge Visitors Centre.
October 2004 Barton won the Most Improved Small Town award in the Yorkshire in Bloom competition.
2005 4th April saw the Geest factory on Antelope Road in Barton destroyed by fire overnight, with dangerous toxic fumes threatening the area at one stage of the incident.
2005 Summer saw the opening of the new police station in the grounds of Providence House.
2005 October saw the completion of the new Waters' Edge Visitors Centre building.
April 2006 The new Waters' Edge Visitors Centre building finally opened its doors to the public.
January 2007 The old leisure centre in Baysgarth Park was demolished to make way for a new one.
2007 The old Outdoor Pursuit Centre has been converted into the new Far Ings National Nature Reserve Visitors' Center.
June 2007 After the highest rainfall recorded in June for Barton many of the dykes are full of water. More surprisingly, the Beck has flooded for the first time in many years. The total rainfall for June was 255mm.
27 February 2008 An earthquake measuring 5.3 on the Richter Scale hit Barton at around 12.56am.  Luckily there was only minor damage.
11 September 2008 The fifth stage of the Tour of Britain cycle race came through Barton this morning, after starting the race from across the water in Hull.  The riders came across the Humber Bridge, into Barton down Ferriby Road, along Holydyke, through the Market place, up Barrow Road (where the first sprint line was) and out to the villages.  The stage was won by Edvald Boasson Hagen of Team Columbia.
October 2009 All the old concrete street-lamp columns have been replaced around the town with new steel ones.
28 November 2009 Rafters Restaurant (including the offices of Regal Fish) situated on the High Street was gutted by fire.
November 2009 The BBC were filming in South Ferriby (at the old blacksmiths forge) and in Barton for the Mastercrafts programme about blacksmiths, to be shown next spring.
26 February 2010 The programme "Mastercrafts" about the old craft of blacksmithing was aired on BBC2.  The old blacksmiths forge at South Ferriby was the setting for the programme and at least two households in Barton (and another in Barrow) were included in the filming.
13 November 2010 The first "new" Barton Farmers' Market was held in the town, this time along George Street.
27 November 2010 The first ever peal to be rung on St. Mary's bells was performed by the Barton Sunday Service Band on this day.
1 December 2010 Snow hit Barton on this date, leaving around 30cm (12") in some places.  It was the worst snowfall the area (and country) had seen for decades and caused problems for weeks.  The following ice stayed around until almost the new year.

Local books for sale - click here for details.

Many books about the history of Barton upon Humber are available. Some are available to purchase from this website by clicking the link above.  Others are available to purchase from many outlets in the town.   Call in to the Library for more details of what is available.

Back to the History Page

Churches and Other Buildings Industrial History Barton Through the Ages Other Features

Home


copyright 2011 Dazxtm