Number three of the Barton upon Humber Civic Society Town Walks. Print off the following to give a guide to the Georgian area of Barton upon Humber. See picture gallery to view some of the below in larger size.
During the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries Barton grew as a small but prosperous market town on the south bank of the Humber estuary. A number of splendid houses were built during this period.
Our walk will start in Baysgarth Park.
|1) Baysgarth House which dates from 1731 has undergone numerous later alterations. It was originally built for members of a branch of the Nelthorpe family but was eventually given to the town in 1930. It was the centre of a large estate on the southern fringes of the town and is set in some 30 acres of parkland. It now houses the local museum. As we leave the park notice the large wrought iron gates and the ornate gateposts capped with unicorns and baskets of fruit. These were brought here in the early 20th century from the garden of New Hall in Newport.|
|2) On the right as we look towards Market Lane is Bardney Hall. This is built in Queen Anne style. The name is a reminder of the town's connection in the medieval period with the great Benedictine abbey of the same name.|
|3) Just before the junction of Whitecross Street and Market Lane is the Volunteer Arms. This was named after the 320 strong force raised in the town during the NapolionicWar of 1803-1814. Notice the dentilled brick cornice under the eaves which is made of bricks set on edge.|
|4) We now turn left up Market Lane and on the left is The Mill. This was built on the site of a pagan Anglo-Saxon cemetery. The Mill continued in use until about 1950 after which it lay derelict until it was transformed into the public house/restaurant we see today.|
|5) Aiming west towards and across the zebra crossing is The George Hotel. This is a former coaching inn which has undergone many alterations. The main corner building dates from the 17th century and here was the venue for many great social, political and cultural events which took place in the town.|
|6) We will now walk down George Street and turn right into Priestgate. From here you can see the shops 1-5 at the corner of Chapel Lane and King Street. This was originally a seven-bay house described as "new built" in 1727. With its tall, steeply-pitched pantile roof, central stacks, sliding sash windows and generally low, squat proportions it is a good example of the local late 17th century style.|
|7) Cobb Hall on the north side of Priestgate has a fine frontage with columned doorway. It is dated by the rainwater head to 1766. The initials T.M.E. are those of the builders of the house - Thomas Marris, a local solicitor, and his wife Elizabeth.|
|8) All but one of the houses in Priestgate were built before c1860, most of them from the Georgian period. No 4 on the north side is a fine example of a house which dates from the mid 18th century with its specially cut and rubbed bricks for the window arches, the dentiled eaves cornice and the decorative door case.|
|9) We now turn left onto St. Mary's Lane. At the bottom is the magnificent medieval church. Look left along Burgate to view the imposing three-storied range built by William Mackrill in 1806. The Mackrill family were local bricklayers and builders who owned brickyards on the Humber bank.|
|10) We now walk along Burgate and round the corner to the left onto Beck Hill. The Beck was formerly a most prominent feature of the Barton street scene. Artesian springs fed this village pond but in recent years massive water extraction from the North Lincolnshire aquifer has caused the springs to dry up.|
|11) Across the road and to the west of St. Peter's church stands the Old Vicarage. This is a building substantially remodelled early in the 19th century in elegant regency style. Chad Varah, the founder of the Samaritans was born here in 1911.|
|12) Next to this is St. Peter's church. This must be Barton's most significant building. The tower and baptistery at its western end remain from an Anglo-Saxon church built in the late 10th century. In the later medieval centuries the building was enlarged. It is now in the care of English Heritage and is open to the public.|
|13) To the east of the church is Tyrwhitt Hall. The later brick exterior of this court yarded house conceals a complex building dating from the 15th century or even earlier. Its east wing is a magnificent timber-framed open hall whilst the south wing, built of chalk and brick with heavy oak timber framing contains the range of chambers or private rooms used by the medieval household.|
|14) Returning back to Whitecross Street one enters that part of Barton which displays to good effect the evidence for Barton's prosperity as a flourishing market town in the 18th and 19th centuries. Here can be seen a mixture of building styles and sizes - an essential feature of the older parts of the town which contrast with the more uniform suburban developments of the last 100 years.|
|15) The row of houses no's 55 - 57 were built in a local style and have yellow and brown bricks laid alternately in Flemish bond which gives a chequer board effect.|
|16) On the opposite side of the road stands Laurel House which was built in the 1780s for a local surgeon, William Benton. The front has fine Flemish bonded brickwork, a dressed stone gable, dentilled cornice and ornate doorway.|
|17) On the west side of the street is No 51 whose frontage dates from the early 19th century, but behind it are ranges at right angles dating from the previous century and, earliest of all, a rare survival inside of a timber-framed wall of the 16th or 17th century.|
|18) Further up the street stands No 41. A mid to late Georgian house with a steeply pitched roof, a parapet in front with a moulded plaster cornice at eaves level and a doorway flanked by fluted Doric columns. The bay windows are Victorian additions.|
|19) Finally at the junction of Barrow Road and Whitecross Street is the Catholic Church. The original construction began in 1938 but was never completed. It was demolished in 1987 and the new church built.|
Here is where our walk ends.
Reproduced with kind permission from the Barton upon Humber Civic Society.
|© copyright 2009 Dazxtm|