The Changing Face of Barton - Market Place


Market Place in or around the 1910's - courtesy of Brian Peeps
Market Place in or around the 1910s
(picture courtesy of Brian Peeps)

The Market Place in Barton upon Humber is very different today.  The shop in the left centre of the top picture (J Stephenson - Boot and Shoe shop) has been demolished to widen the road.  The Black Bull pub in the centre of the top picture was demolished just after the end of World War II to make way for the current toilets and car park, and the White Lion pub (the one nearest the camera) is now a shop.  One big difference is the volume of traffic.  In the top picture there is no central car park, nor is there any need for a zebra crossing, indeed there is only the need for a solitary lamp in the Market Place.  In the bottom picture it is almost entirely taken over by the motor car.

An old view of Market Place from the opposite angle to the shot above.  Notice the odd white building just off-centre which is probably an old farm building.
An old view of Market Place from the opposite angle to the shot above.  Notice the odd white building just off-centre which is probably an old farm building.
(picture courtesy of Brian Peeps)
Barton fair held in the Market Place, showing Smith and Warrens carousel.
Barton fair, held in the Market Place, showing Smith and Warrens carousel.
(picture courtesy of Brian Peeps)
J (John) Tutill, a grocer, with his delivery cart outside his Market Place shop in the 1920s.
J (John) Tutill, a grocer, with his delivery cart outside his Market Place shop in the 1920s.
(picture courtesy of Brian Peeps)

The Market Place is still probably the main shopping area of the town, although it is not as heavily populated with shops as it has been in the past.  John Tutill, the grocer, had a shop from around 1900 onwards, with it not being recorded after the War (1940s).  Other shops around at that time were tailors, drapers, butchers, tinplate workers, boot and shoe makers, furniture dealers, coal dealers, grocers, confectioners and pastry cooks.  There was also an emigration agent (John Haslam) based in the Market Place.  There were also two pubs, namely the White Lion and the Black Bull.  Neither operate as a pub today.


In the picture below you can see the white building in the background which is currently a shop.  When the picture above was taken there would have been a row of buildings next to this making the road much narrower there too.

Market Place today
A modern view of Market Place.

With special thanks to Brian Peeps for the use of the old images.
There may be small errors in the above text, or you may have some information - feel free to email me any comments.

High Street Back to History Page Barton Through the Ages George Street

Home


copyright 2010 Dazxtm