The Changing Face of Barton - George Street


George Street in or around the 1920's - courtesy of Brian Peeps
George Street in or around the 1920's.
(picture courtesy of Brian Peeps)

George Street has a very similar look about it today as it used to have when the above picture was taken. There are a few exceptions though. In the centre of the picture above you will see a large building that is not on the picture below, this is Priestgate House. Priestgate House was a large building which was used as a billet in World War Two, amongst other things. The onset of the motor car demanded more road space and so Priestgate House was demolished in 1954. The other exception is the direction of traffic (allbeit very sparce in the above picture). George Street is currently one way travelling away from the camera, in the picture above there is a chap riding a bike towards the camera. Was this common practice at this time or was he flouting the law?

Martin Jubb, the draper.
The shop of Martin Jubb the draper in the early 1900s, now currently Euronics.
(picture courtesy of Brian Peeps)
George Street from the opposite direction.
George Street from the opposite direction. On the left is J.C. Lee, the druggist and chemist.
(picture courtesy of Brian Peeps)

Despite the ongoing years George Street has managed to retain its retail focus.  Originally called Old Market Lane, due to the market being held just to the left of this picture, it was renamed in George Street in the mid to late 1800s.  In the past there have been fishmongers, boot makers and repairers, tailors, grocers, butchers, watchmakers, saddlers, confectioners and toy dealers all trading in George Street.

George Street today
A modern picture of George Street.

With special thanks to Brian Peeps for the use of the old images.
There may be small errors in the above text, or you may have some information - feel free to email me any comments.

Market Place Back to History Page Barton Through the Ages Fleetgate

Home


copyright 2010 Dazxtm