No one is quite sure when Baysgarth House and gardens were built, it may have been during the Middle Ages, but it has certainly left its mark on Barton. In 1557 it passed from Thomas Naylor to Edward Naylor. In 1585 it was passed to William Naylor who was sued for possession by Reverand Gabriel Cornwall who claimed Edward had sold it. History is not sure what happened but in 1614 it was sold to John Dighton and Henry Sandwich. In 1620 it was sold to Richard Nelthorpe. At this time the estate consisted of a house with farm buildings, a four acre close to the south and about 250 acres of land in the town fields. It stayed in the Nelthorpe family up until 1792. Some of the Nelthorpes who lived there include Sir Goddard Nelthorpe, Sir Henry Nelthorpe, Sir John Nelthorpe amongst others. By 1792 the estate had grown to about 900 acres.
|Baysgarth House Museum|
From 1792 onwards it passed through a few owners and in 1818 it was acquired by Thomas Nicholson who sold it in 1825 to John Preston. This is where Preston Lane (running along side the north wall of the grounds) gets its name from. It was around this time (1818) that Baysgarth House and park (consisting of around 14 acres of land) was separated from the rest, which had been sold. There were further owners until it was eventually sold to Robert Wright Taylor, from London, in 1889. When Mr Taylor passed away in 1930 Baysgarth passed to his daughter who, being a resident in Norfolk, donated Baysgarth House and park to the residents of Barton upon Humber in memory of her parents and brother.
In 1940 the Lindsey County Council Assistant ARP officer was stationed in the house, by 1948 it was an annex to Barton Grammar School, between 1960 and 1997 it was the council offices and in 1981 Baysgarth House Museum opened to the public.
|Baysgarth Park gates|
The main entrance to the Baysgarth estate dates from the 18th century but was brought to Baysgarth during the 19th century from the garden of New Hall, in Newport Street. This consists of two smaller gates on either side of a large pair of gates. The pillars of the large gates have a lion and a unicorn on top and the smaller gate pillars have baskets.
Baysgarth house is "L" shaped with east and south wings. The east wing is two storeys with an attic and is made from local bricks. This may date from the seventeenth century. The south wing may date from the eighteenth century but is the more elaborate of the two. It is two storey high with a brick band and an elaborate central doorway with a Roman style to it. The interior of the house is very ornate with a fine early 19th century staircase, carved ceiling cornice and much more. The best way to view it is to visit the museum which occupies the south wing.
|The stable area|
In 1620 there were barns and stables around the house, by 1806 outhouses, coach houses and stables are recorded and in 1889 farmyard buildings are still present. Around 1889 Baysgarth Cottage was built and domestic water was supplied by a brick lined well on the east of the house. During the 19th century the existing stable block was built, along with the pump shaft on the well. This stable block is now part of the museum, along with Baysgarth Cottage.
Baysgarth House and park currently occupies around 30 acres of parkland. The grounds are open daily to dusk, the museum is now being run by CHAMP and is open Friday, Saturday and Sunday 12noon to 4pm. For more information or details telephone 01652 632318.
|© copyright 2007 Dazxtm|