|Barton Town Cricket Club - with the pavilion in the centre and clubhouse to the right.|
Barton Town Cricket Club is believed to have been formed in 1849. However, numerous local papers of the day reported that Barton Town Cricket Club was formed in April 1858. They all went on the list the main people behind the formation. Mr T. Brown was elected the president of the club, Mr A. Petchell the vice-president, Mr R. Minto the treasurer and Mr W. W. Goy the secretary. Barton News reported that the team "almost daily play in a field near the pottery" and it was also reported that the club "was expected to play in a field on the Butts belonging to Mr Moss". The pottery was situated on Marsh Lane, very close to where the railway line now crosses, and this area was very close to the Butts, or Butts Road. A local newspaper reported that on the 5 June 1885 a fire broke out in the pavilion of the Barton Town Cricket Club (totally destroying it). The neighbouring pottery discovered the fire in full blaze. This would further confirm the position of the original ground. Just to add a bit more confusion to the formation date of the club there is a report in a local newspaper, dated August 1844, of a cricket match between Hull and Barton, which Hull won by an innings and four runs. There is also another report in a local newspaper which states "A cricket club has been established at Barton for the recreation of the young men of Barton" on the 20th May 1853. This would suggest a Barton Cricket Club in existence in 1844, again in 1853, then again in 1849 and finally again in 1858.
of around 1908 shows the football ground, stand and a pavilion in a
field two fields north of the railway line, not that far from the current
ground. This field would match the report in the Barton News as being the
original site of the cricket club, before they moved to their current ground in
the early 1920s. The Barton News also reported that "in one part of the
field a stand was erected" which would suggest the football and cricket clubs
were sharing the field at this time. At the end of the 1858 season the
club had been very successful and had won nearly all the matches in which it
played in. Members of this 1858 team included Scarborough, Dadding, Young,
F. Bygott, Todd, Heseltine, Morehead, Goy, Cross, S. Woodhall and Clarke, all
well known Barton names at the time.
There is, however, a report in another local paper dated August 30 1850 which stated that on the afternoon of the last Saturday a cricket game was played between eleven members of the Barton club and 22 of the townspeople. This took place on a field at the rear of the Waterside Inn along Waterside Road. This report would suggest a Barton cricket club was in existence before the one above was created. It could be surmised that a Barton cricket club was formed around 1849, playing on a field behind the Waterside Inn, before closing sometime before the new Barton Town cricket club was formed in 1858, playing near the Pottery along Marsh Lane.
|This image shows the Stand, football ground and pavilion in a field north of the railway line. The road at the bottom of the image is Butts Road and the field just north of this is the current ground of Barton Town Cricket Club. Willowtree Lane is modern-day Pasture Road.|
|An early picture of Barton Town Football Club, and
in the background you can just make out the players of Barton Town Cricket
Club involved in a game. This picture must have been taken at the
current cricket ground, or the possible joint ground if it was taken
before around 1927.
(picture courtesy of Brian Peeps)
The Hull Packet of 1st July 1881 recorded a Cricket match between Barton and Wintringham which had taken place on the 25th June 1881. "[Barton] won by 16 runs on the first innings. Rain delayed the start until three o'clock. Mr Burkill batted very well for his side, and was bowled off his pads. For Barton Mr Poole got his runs in good style, and Mr Wilson's six wickets cost but one run each"
|M C Hill||b Robinson||7||M Beacock||c Harris b Haddelsey||0|
|T H Potts||run out||4||S Burkill||b Wilson||17|
|A G Poole||b Burkill||21||T Robinson||c and b Haddelsey||0|
|W T Gooseman||b Burkill||10||J Broughton||c Hill b Rennison||11|
|H Wilson||b Robinson||0||W Sutton||b Haddelsey||6|
|G Haddelsey||b Robinson||7||J Robinson||b Wilson||6|
|J Harris||c and b Burkill||2||G Pickersgill||c Haddelsey b Wilson||2|
|W Stamp||b Robinson||6||G Beacock||b Wilson||3|
|W Rennison||b Burkill||0||F Robinson||b Wilson||3|
|J T Markham||c Slingsby b Burkill||7||H Sutton||b Wilson||0|
|J Stow||not out||2||E Slingsby||not out||1|
By cross-referencing the 1881 census return more details of some of the
players in this match have been uncovered. For Barton Matthew Hill was a
35 year old corn merchant lodging at a grocers shop along George Street.
T. H. Potts may have been a misprint of J. H. Potts. There was only one
Potts family living in Barton on the census of 1881 and John Henry was a joiner,
aged 35, living along Whitecross Street. Arthur Gant (Grant?) Poole was a
26 year old watchmaker living on George Street. William Thomas Gooseman
was a 27 year old veterinary surgeon living on High Street. Henry Wilson
was a 29 year old solicitor living on Priestgate. G Haddelsey and J Harris
were not recorded in the 1881 census, nor where they recorded in any trade
directories within ten years either side of this date. William Stamp was a
joiner, aged 35, living on High Street. William Rennison (junior) was a 16
year old teacher living at Laurel House on Whitecross Street. John Markham
was a 27 year old brick maker lodging at one of the brickyards along the Humber
bank. Finally John Stow was an 18 year old teacher living in a private
house along Brigg Road.
For Wintringham Matthew Beacock was a 37 year old sailor living on Low Burgage. S. Burkill was not recorded in the 1881 census. Thomas Robinson was a 21 year old agricultural labourer living on Marsh Lane. J. Broughton was not recorded in the 1881 census. William Sutton was a 22 year old farmer living on West End. J. Robinson could have been either Joseph, an agricultural labourer aged 28 and living on Marsh Lane, or John, an agricultural labourer aged 27 living on Spring Row. George Pickersgill was a 36 year old shoemaker living on West End. G. Beacock was not recorded in the 1881 census. Frank Robinson was a 30 year old agricultural labourer from Glebe Farm. Herbert Sutton was a 19 year old farmers' son living at West End. Finally Edward Slingsby was a 25 year old engine driver living on High Burgage.
Clearly the game of cricket was enjoyed by the poorer and richer members of society alike.
In 1896 William Arthur Stow was the recorded secretary and by 1900 Harold O. Knight was the recorded secretary. He continued in the role until after 1909. By 1907 H. Wilson was the president of Barton Town Cricket Club and Barton Town Football Club, again showing the closeness of the two teams. I have more detail for the 1912 season. Henry Wilson was still the president, but the list of vice-presidents was quite substantial and is as follows:
H. Anderson esq, T. H. Ball esq, Jos. Barraclough esq, W. H. Blyth esq, J. W. Briggs esq, W. Brearley esq, T. J. Bennett esq, J. W. Ellis esq, F. Fullerton esq, W. T. Gooseman esq, A. B. Hall esq, J. Haslam esq, E. A. Hill esq, ? Harvey esq, F. Hopper esq J.P., Dr W. G. Loveridge, G. H. Nowell esq, H. Pigott esq, J. H. Potts esq, Sir B. D. G Sheffield, Bart, G. Smith esq, R. Fox-Smith esq, J. B. Tombleson esq, Ald. T. Tombleson, J. Tutill esq, H. G. Wilson esq and Rev W. E. Varah.
It would seem all the good and great figures of Barton wanted to be a part of the cricket club. There are many familiar names above, William Blyth the brick and tile manufacturer, William Thomas Gooseman the veterinary surgeon, Fred Hopper of Hoppers Cycle manufacturing, G. Nowell of the solicitors along Priestage, Richard Fox-Smith from the chemists, the Tomblesons' and the vicar to name but a few. The captain of the team was Frank Barratt, the vice-captain was Mr R. C. Todd and the honorary secretary was Mr P. J. Burley. The secretary was Mr W. Welsh and on the committee were Messers W. Flint, H. Burley, A. Stamp, P. Uppleby, J. Lunt and J. H. Potts. The scorer was Mr S. Houghton and the Umpire was Mr H. Walker. Unfortunately there is no mention of any of the players names. The teams they were playing this year included Garden Village in Hull, elsham, Normanby, Scunthorpe P.M.'s, Hull Town 2nd, Reckitt's (of Hull), Brocklesby, Coal Ex. C.C. Hull and Brigg.
By 1913 Percy J. Burley was the recorded secretary and by 1922 he was the honorary secretary. He continued in the role until around 1930 when Arthur Dean took it over. Arthur Dean continued in this role until around 1937 when J. Kitchin took it over. In the 1940s, during the war, warden post number four was situated in the cricket field, in the south-east corner, along with a search-light (which may have been portable).
The team of 1956 included J. Kirk, J. Brice, E. Hall, R. Sparkes, R. Chapman, J. Taunton, Tom Hill (an umpire), J. Eayres, H. Allenby, D. Lawson, B. Creasey and C. Burnett. By 1970 D. Lawson had become the secretary to the club. In 1969 the main averages were:-
|1st XI 1969||Innings||Not out||Runs||Ave|
|2nd XI 1969||Innings||Not Out||Runs||Ave|
Barton Town Cricket Club played in the Lincolnshire County Cricket League for many years. In 1969 Barton finished 12th in division one and Barton 2nds finished 10th in division two. The Saturday teams currently play in the Lincolnshire Premier Division and the Sunday teams currently play in the North Lindsey League. Currently the club president is Dennis Lawson, who did so well in the 1969 team and was the secretary in 1970.
Barton Town Cricket Club have their own informative website here "Barton Town Cricket Club".
This page is work-in-progress and merely scratches the surface of what is a fascinating part of Barton's history. There must be many memories of Barton's cricket team in the town so please, if you do have any memories you would like to share, or any pictures/memorabilia you would be willing to let me use, please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further reading/sources : Barton on Humber in the 1850's - Part 1 Leisure and Pleasure. Lincolnshire County Cricket League 1970. Various 19c Trade Directories.
Many thanks to Nick Lyons for supplying some of the earlier information.
|© copyright 2012 Dazxtm|